Tuesday 31 January 2012

Family Trip out on the PPB

Well it may come as a suprise too many that  with all the squid fishing I do that none of my family have ever caught a squid, the weekend gone saw an end to that with a family trip planned on Port Phillip Bay. Conditions started perfectly with no wind and a sunrise to die for, not sure how much the young one Maddison and my fiance Kim appreciated to early morning wake up at 0330 so we could be on the water by 0500 at Sorrento but we got up and made in time.

We did a few stops along the way starting in Sorrento and working our way over to the South Channel Marker picking up a dozen or so along the way, there is nothing like the look on a kids face when they get there first squid. Maddison had a grin from ear to ear and made all the right noises a kid makes when they load up on a fish, it was a very rewarding trip for me, I dont know who felt better me or her. Maddison was smashing them at one stage and had Kim and myself struggling for numbers untill we both struck back with a vengance.


Kim had never even been squid fishing before so this was also a first for her, in one trip we managed to break 2 squid virgins, from here we headed towards Portsea via Sorrento, cating away in Portsea I could hear a voice yelling at me from the pier, was good to hear Don Smith From Gone Fishing Sales in Carrum Downs getting a few from the pier, they ended up with 13 for the day between him and a mate. With only small squid around we headed for Point Nepean to see if we could find some bigger ones, not planning very well I arrived to find the tide gushing out at a rate of knots so finding a nice drift was tough. Packed up and again headed for Sorrento where I knew we would find enough squid to keep the whole family entertained for a few more hours.

These few hours shrunk very fast as some one on the boat turned as green as their shirt, although a bit of sea sickness never killed any one there was no need to stay out and be ill when we had caught and released more than enough squid to keep us all content, everyone had a great day I was wrapped to see the happiness on teh faces of my family as they caught there first squid cant wait to get out there again and do it with them some more.




No comments:

Post a Comment