Tuesday 12 November 2013

Day 3 Cape York Far North Queensland

**CLICK IMAGES FOR FULL DEFINITION**

We had played in the blue water on the first day of fishing so now it was time to pump some lures into the deep think snags and mangroves lining the Jackey Jackey Creek system.
Jays Boat

The day started off great with our guide Jay Arnold from Cape York Peninsula Fishing picked us up from our accommodation and we loaded up the boat to head for the Jackey Jackey Creek system, I first looked at the area on google earth so I could have a quick look at the where we were fishing before we left. Let me tell you google aint got nothing when it comes to this area. This system is massive. Boat launched and its all systems go. Like a clumsy donkey when I was getting into the boat I slipped arse up and smashed leg up on the tie down near the front of the boat. A small amount of claret flowed as we settled into the boat with our gear.

on our way
Once settled in Jay explained that we would be driving past some amazing mangrove's,snags and structure but to relax as he knew where we were heading. We motored about an hour at speed though the winding tight mangrove forest to the first spot and yes Jay was spot on, I was salivating at some of the water and snags we were driving past and I just wanted to stop and cast, I sat tight and we arrived at our first location on the bank of the main river system. It amazed me that in this whole system Jay was able to pin point one tidal drain miles from any where to where we could see fish free swimming around the drain. It was clear how many hours this man has spent in this area - lots.

Hooked Up
First outfits in hand we slowly snuck into casting distance of the drain and started chucking lures around. Within minutes we had our first hook up. I was casting a Gan Craft Rest 128mm to the fish and just slowly twitching it our of the mangroves through the drain. The first fish hooked up was a Barramundi and a not too shabby one at that. The fish was only attached for a short time before it spat the lure and took off. We pumped a few more lures into the same drain and picked up some small travaly before moving on to the next spot. Again we headed to a very small drain that Jay knew would hold fish. We pumped a few casts in to the spot hoping to pull out a few fish but the water was very slow and no flow means no go. This is where our guide came into his own and worked out  where we needed to be to get the fish to start playing.

We moved to a headland that was close to  the entrance to the system that was full of isolated rocks and reef, after a few casts a Cod snuck out smashed my lure and took off into the rocks, suffice to say the lure and cod were never to be seen again. Time to re rig my line, I pulled a Gan Craft Jointed Claw 148 out and started to tie on the lure. Being near a headland there was a small amount of chop around, I should have sat down on the seat provided to re rig but again like an idiot I decided to do it standing up. I had only the night before upgraded the hooks to the stronger decoy hooks because of the amount of
Do not try this at home
pressure you need to put on the fish around mangroves. As I was finishing the knot off the tiniest bit of chop stuffed my balance and I fell forward I put a hand out to stop myself from falling only to punch the nice new treble into my finger. I had a crack at taking the hook out myself but the were a pretty heavy guage hook and this thing was going no where. A quick consult with Dr. Jay and it was decided to get the pliers out and just tear the hook out. he positioned the lure so the other hooks would not get hung up on me and after a few laughs and groans a very quick and sharp rip the hook was out. Too busy wasting time with hooks we were loosing too much fishing time time to get back into it.

We made another move to some smaller water where we could target some fish that would be holding up as the tide was falling we arrive at our spot and I had to re tie the lure that was moments earlier sitting some what more intimately in my finger - this time I sat down. As I was tying the breeze had picked up some line around my reel so I attached the lure to my reel so it was not swinging around sticking into people and started to sort out the line. Idiot alert -  As I stood up to fix my line issue I disengaged the free spool with a drag of about 4kg then tripped over my own bag causing me to pull down on the line. We all know what happens when we pull graphite back on itself. Pop goes the rod tip. We were miles from any civilization but I reckon the folks in Cairns could here the profanity. Not a happy camper. Feeling pretty stupid and grumpy I sat down and again started rigging up the other rod I had with me that I was busted off on earlier.
 Saltwater Crocodile

The tide was starting to turn so Jay suggested we have a quick trip to the very shallow drain area about 10 minutes away. When we arrived I picked up the rod thinking it can only get better from here. I climbed up onto the front deck and cast into the suggested area, the lure hit the water and after 2 cracks a Tarpon came shooting out and absolutely smashed my lure. Literally had 2 turns of the handle it pulled line and it shot out of the water shook its head and aid good bye. Although pissed that it did not stay attached I realized that 15 minutes had gone by and I had not broken anything, stuck a lure into myself and not fallen over, things were looking up. I had a few more casts but the water was getting very low so we made the retreat and towards a rock bar that Jay knew of that often held Mangrove Jacks.
Mangrove Jack

As we cruised towards the skinny creeks I sat back in marvel of the sheer size and amazing habitat that we have in Australia, this place was pristine. We made our way to the rock bar and I tied on a Gan Craft Jointed Claw Type F, a limited edition with rattles. I cast into the heavy snaggy ground and after a slow roll of the lure BANG, a Mangrove Jack came screaming out of a hidey hole and smashed the lure. It took a heap of line and made a good account of himself on the light gear I was using, after a fair tussle Jay was standing next to me with a net and at last we had a nice Jack in the boat. Apparently they are good eating so this one was not going back. I measured in at 46cm, we took a few happy snap and got back to casting.

The day just got better from there, we managed to run up a tally of all sorts from Mangrove Jacks, Esturary Cod, Queensland Grouper, Barramundi, a few different Trevaly species, Bream and Moses Perch.

I can not speak highly enough about the services of Jay Arnold - he put us on the fish and was an absolute champ all day - even throughout my stupidity.

If any one is keen to get up here and give this stuff a crack I strongly suggest that you contact Jay Arnold of Cape York Peninsula Fishing.
http://www.capeyorkpeninsulafishing.com.au
0740693919
0417617458
If you cant get him on the phone please understand that there is no phone reception where he is fishing so make sure you leave a message.
Steve's Barra

Yours truly with a jumping Barra


Jay Arnold

Jointed Claw Mangrove Jack

Taken the pressure down with a Jack

Heavy Old Queensland Grouper

Jointed Claw Grouper

Chillaxin

Steves Trevaly

Bream on a Jig - Blue Blue Sea Ride 30g

Moses Perch on a jig - Blue Blue Sea Ride


Some one say termites
Bower Bird Nest.


No comments:

Post a Comment